Yesterday I planted Robert’s garden in my backyard. This morning I admired it from my window, and
I was treated to the sight of Baltimore Orioles in my weeping cherry tree,
first the female which I couldn’t identify because I’d never knowingly seen one
before, but suspected what it was, and then the male which confirmed my
suspicions. Wrens are nesting in the
birdhouse. They start their family here
every year. I spot male and female
cardinals at the bird feeder, common visitors but no less brilliant .
When my
bones are brittle and weary, and I cannot make the climb up to this vantage
point in my loft, I will remember these peaceful, life-affirming starts to
these worrisome days in Covid isolation.
Yesterday
I also held a virtual meeting and saw my students for the first time in seven
weeks. I cried. Funny how I never really wanted to be a
teacher.
(The
Orioles sail over the back fence into the tangled woods.)
After high school, I wanted to go
away to college to study journalism. I
knew it wouldn’t be easy to convince my strict Italian father to let me go, but
I was slowly softening him to the idea. I was passionate about becoming an
international journalist, excited by the places it would take me, the talents
it would tap into. Teaching became a
consolation prize, a delayed plan B, since my older brother who did not go to
college convinced my father not to let me go.
“Dad, you don’t know what goes on there,” and he assailed our father’s
ears with cautionary tales of his idiot friend’s dorm life, filled with drugs
and sex and, the real clincher, wasted tuition money due to failing grades.
My father, in addition to taking
that chance away from me, emboldened by his proclamation, raged on about what a
dangerous life journalism would be and insisted I drop the pursuit. It didn’t take much to smack that dream out of
my hands, I was already kicked in the gut and on my knees, betrayed by my
brother.
Anger festered and spread inside
me, turning to bitterness and hushed resentment of them, of them all. Men, I mean.
Even now I feel it simmer inside me though my father is dead fifteen
years and my brother who I plant a commemorative garden for in my yard every
May, died four years ago.
The destructive path I drove my
life through then fueled by these ill feelings brought me down strange roads
and often to dead ends. You wouldn’t
believe the life I’ve lived.
Eventually, I made one responsible move
on behalf of my newborn son. I went back
to college and became a teacher. That
was 27 years ago. But I held on always
to my grudge that this was not my first career choice.
I wonder what my life might have been
now reporting on this worldwide pandemic.
How would I? I can’t imagine what
I’d be firsthand witness to. I turn away
from the painful images on the screen. Perhaps
I would have hardened my heart long ago and been quite a different person than
this one whose heart is filled to bursting at the sight of Baltimore Orioles
and the faces of twelve-year-olds happy to see me.
Rereading this piece after you first read it to us in the Spring, I think back to when we heard you read it and the anger in your voice when you came to the part about hating "all of them." It's no wonder decisions made by men FOR women shine a light on the oppression women feel; the anger buried by years of subservience has to resurface in some way. The despair in your voice a you read told us the pain you felt by not having control of your life as a young woman. Thankfully your decision to become a teacher was a great one, but it still doesn't erase the bitter memories of a domineering father and a brother who sabotaged your freedom to make a career choice. Your writing is so engaging!
ReplyDelete